In this guide, we will show you the steps to flash the Xiaomi EU ROM on any Xiaomi/Mi device. Based on your region, Xiaomi beholds quite a few different types of ROMs. These include the China ROM for the Chinese region, EEA ROM for the EU Region, Indian ROM for India, and Global ROM for all the other regions countries.
These are the official ROMs from Xiaomi and hence the underlying features remain near about similar. However, not many users are a fan of the Chinese OEMs OS offering, mainly due to its incorporation of the plethora of baked-in apps (bloatware) and tons of unnecessary customizations. This is where the Xiaomi.EU ROM comes into the picture. It is an unofficial ROM from the developers of the community of the same name and is optimized much better than the official ROMs.
Apart from that, it has trimmed down some unnecessary features and added all the important ones. Owing to this reason (and the ones listed below), it has become the go-to choice for every Xiaomi device owner. And if you echo this thought as well, then this guide is here to help you out. Given hereby are the detailed instructions to install the Xiaomi EU ROM on any Xiaomi/Mi device. Follow along.
- What are the Features of Xiaomi.EU ROM
- How to Flash Xiaomi EU ROM
What are the Features of Xiaomi.EU ROM
One of the most common queries is that why should one flash this unofficial Custom ROM when our device already has the official one installed. In other words, what are the benefits and features that we would be getting on installing the Xiaomi EU ROM? Well, this query couldn’t have been answered any better than what the XDA Senior Member saisannihith has managed to document. So here are all the features present in the Xiaomi.EU ROM which is absent in the Global ROM:
- Enabled search gesture (swipe up) on the desktop
- 3way reboot menu (in dev settings)
- MIUI Contacts and Dialer
- Dark Mode (Night Mode) for all devices (In the dev settings except 9.x/10.x)
- Removed ads in MIUI system apps
- Face Unlock for all devices
- Vertical clock widget on the lock screen
- Steps counter in Assistant screen
- More shortcuts on the left lock screen
- Wake up gestures
- AI preloading option in MIUI Lab
- Fullscreen gestures
- Option to auto-expand first notification
- Notifications priority settings
- More edit options in the Gallery app
- Enabled MiDrive in File Explorer
- Added landscape mode for SMS app
- Sunrise/Sunset in the weather app
- Google apps support integrated
- Removed 5GHz region restrictions
- Confirm dials from call logs
- Morning report on alarm at morning
- More apps supported for AOD notifications
- More styles for AOD screen
- Raise to wake gesture
- AOD notification received animation
- Default volume control stream toggle
- Tap fingerprint sensor to wake toggle
- More Camera features
- Double-tap to lock screen
- Battery AI scenes
- Allowed disabling specific system apps
- Importing theme .mtz from zhuti.xiaomi.com via ThemeManager
- No useless Chinese bloatware apps
- More free RAM due to fewer background processes
- Unified flat style app icons for both system and 3rd party apps
- Advanced menu with color icons
- No any Chinese character under the full system
- Mi Video, Mi Music, Mi Browser: No useless Chinese content
- No possibility to re-lock bootloader accidentally with flash any xiaomi.eu release
- Added real 27 languages translation made by Official MIUI Fansites and MIUI Fans
- Added EU T9 dialer support
- Added charging sound switch
- Added Screen-OFF animation
- Optimized GPS settings for EU
- Optimized Battery consumption
- Optimized RAM consumption
- Added 3D Touch to MI5S 3GB RAM version
- Added GSMalphabet into SMS app options
- Added more icons grid layout 4×5, 4×6, 4×7, 5×5, 5×6, 5×7 (depends on device)
- SafetyNet passed (Google Pay)
- Play Store Certified
- Added automated tasks in the Security app
- Added game speed booster
- Added erase module (magic elimination) to Gallery photo edit options
- Fixed low volume sound via headphone
- Charging screen
How to Flash Xiaomi EU ROM
The below instructions are listed under separate sections for ease of understanding. Make sure to follow in the exact same sequence as mentioned. Droidwin and its members wouldn’t be held responsible in case of a thermonuclear war, your alarm doesn’t wake you up, or if anything happens to your device and data by performing the below steps.
STEP 1: Install Android SDK
First and foremost, you will have to install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This is the official ADB and Fastboot binary provided by Google and is the only recommended one. So download it and then extract it to any convenient location on your PC. Doing so will give you the platform-tools folder, which will be used throughout this guide to flash the Xiaomi EU ROM onto your device.
STEP 2: Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
Next up, you will also have to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device. The former will make your device recognizable by the PC in ADB mode. This will then allow you to boot your device to Fastboot Mode. On the other hand, OEM Unlocking is required to carry out the bootloader unlocking process.
So head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
STEP 3: Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi
Since this is an unofficial ROM (a custom ROM to be precise), you will need to unlock the device’s bootloader. However, doing so will wipe off all the data and could nullify the device’s warranty as well. So if that’s all well and good, then please refer to our guide on How to Unlock the Bootloader on any Xiaomi Device. Once that is done, you may move over to the next step to install the Xiaomi EU ROM onto your device.
STEP 4: Download Xiaomi.EU ROM
Next up, download the Xiaomi EU ROM for your device from the below links (stable builds are the recommended ones):
STEP 5: Install TWRP Recovery
You will need to have the TWRP Recovery installed in order to flash the Xiaomi EU ROM. So refer to our guide on How to Install TWRP Recovery on Android.
- In short, use the below command syntax to permanently flash the TWRP recovery [recommended]:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- On the other hand, if you wish to temporary boot your device to TWRP for one-time usage, then use the following command:
fastboot boot twrp.img
Once your device is booted to TWRP, it might be in the Chinese language. If that is the case, then you could refer to our guide on How to Change Language in TWRP Recovery.
STEP 6: Perform a Factory Reset via TWRP
- This process will wipe off all the data from your device, so take a backup beforehand.
- Then go to the Wipe section of TWRP and tap on Format Data.
- Finally, type in Yes in the space provided and hit Enter.
STEP 7: Transfer ROM ZIP File to Device via TWRP
Once the format is complete, transfer the Xiaomi EU ROM to your device. This could be done via Mount, ADB Sideload, or USB OTG. You may also refer to our guide below guides for this purpose:
STEP 8: Install Xiaomi EU ROM via TWRP
- Go to the Install section of TWRP, navigate to the ROM ZIP file, and select it.
- Then perform a right swipe to flash it. The flashing might take around 5-10 minutes.
- Once done, you may then reboot the device to the OS via Reboot > System.
That’s it. These were the steps to install the Xiaomi EU ROM on any Xiaomi/Mi device. If you have any queries concerning the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments. We will get back to you with a solution at the earliest.